Student Experience Amsterdam Minervahaven is the fourth student complex of Student Experience and has been given the BREEAM-NL Excellent certificate. This makes Student Experience Amsterdam Minervahaven the most sustainable student complex in Europe.
BREEAM-NL New Construction and Renovation is the quality label in the Netherlands for assessing new construction projects and large-scale renovations on sustainability performance. BREEAM-NL New Construction and Renovation is available for offices, retail, schools, industrial buildings, homes, meeting and accommodation functions and data centres. With BREEAM-NL New Construction and Renovation, buildings are assessed on nine different sustainability topics: management, health, energy, transport, water, materials, waste, land use and ecology and pollution. Due to the broad scope, BREEAM-NL has its influence on all phases of construction and all parties involved, from client to subcontractor and end user, must provide their input to achieve the intended score. The certification consists of a design and delivery certificate and the documents are independently tested. A short summary of the project is provided below.
Location Moermanskkade, 1013 BE Amsterdam GFA 25,051m2
Function(s) Hotel, meeting, accommodation sports and other
Elements Hotel rooms, hospitality, lounge, sports field, fitness, terraces, study and work spaces
Excellent with score 76.9%
Client SCI Student Experience Real Estate ICV Developer
Student Experience Ontwikkeling B.V.
Architect Ulrich Architectuur
Contractor Pleijsier Bouw
Constructor Van Rossum Raadgevende Ingenieurs
Installation advisor Techniplan
Installation Blom Building physics LBP Sight BREEAM-expert LBP Sight
BREEAM-assessor MAT 25
|Location||Moermanskkade, 1013 BE Amsterdam|
|Function(s)||Hotel, meeting, accommodation, sport and other|
|Elements||Hotelrooms, hospitality, lounge, sports, field, fitness, terraces, study and work spaces|
|BREEAM-NL score||Excellent with a score 76,9%|
To achieve the BREEAM-excellent certificate, the following technical and sustainable solutions were applied:
- The facades on the east, south and west side of the building are provided with solar cells due to which the building can largely meet its own energy needs;
- Because the facades are equipped with solar cells, solar cells on the roof surface are not necessary. This allows a different interpretation to be given to the roof surface;
- A significant part of the terraces will be set up as a green roof with sedum planting; A Heat and cold storage (WKO) is installed in the parking garage. This allows the building to be cooled from the source in the summer months and heated from the source in the winter months;
- Low temperature heating is applied via underfloor heating; Various ecological measures are being taken, such as a nesting box for peregrine falcons and an insect hotel is located in the courtyard;
- The contractor builds according to the 'conscious builders code of conduct' and in doing so, among other things, takes the origin of the materials into account.
Below is a brief summary of the estimated annual consumption:
- Heating 15 kWh/m2
- Hot tap water 13 kWh/m2
- Cooling 6 kWh/m2
- Ventilation 10 kWh/m2
- Lighting 36 kWh/m2
- Expected water consumption in m3/person/year: 40m3
- Expected consumption of renewable energy sources;
- PV panels 19 kWh/m2
Student Experience is not only the developer of the building but also the manager and owner. To prepare the management organisation as well as possible for the exploitation period, they are already involved in the project. For example, they provide input for the layout and logistic routes.
Implementing the BREEAM excellent certificate requires a strong involvement of all disciplines during the design and construction phase. This is accompanied by a higher investment in the preliminary phase, but this is expected to result in cost savings during the operating phase.
The shape of the building has a huge impact on energy consumption. The high-value stepped design of Student Experience Amsterdam Minervahaven has a relatively high facade surface area and therefore more energy loss than a more closed form. If Student Experience Amsterdam Minervahaven will implement the BREEAM certificate for a new development, the energy loss will already be monitored during the building's mass study to prevent discussion at a later time.
Check out the document below for all our obtained BREEAM score.
Obtained BREEAM score